Demolition of buildings along a run-down section of South Orange Blossom Trail in Parramore began in December to make way for a new Orlando Police Headquarters. The old Lynx depot, which was a Parramore elementary school years before, was demolished.
For more than 15 years Orlando officials lobbied to replace the current station on Hughey Avenue. Then the issue was forced after the city sold the current police station to the Orlando Magic, which plans to build a $200 million entertainment complex on the land adjacent to the new Amway Arena.
The city will tear down the current police headquarters building after the new police station opens.
Location: 1200 W. South Street, Between South and Anderson streets. The spot is between the Citrus Bowl and the new soccer stadium. It has direct access to the Orange Blossom Trail and the East-West Expressway
Owner: City of Orlando
Start Date: Summer 2015
End Date: Fall 2016
Project Budget: $45 million
Size: 94,500 square feet, smaller than the current headquarters. The city is spreading officers out to sub-stations throughout the city.
Occupants: Chief of Police, Patrol Services Bureau, Investigative Services Bureau, Special Services Bureau, Facility Support Areas.
Additional features: Plenty of public parking and community meeting space.
Number of sworn OPD officers in 1972 when the current station opened: 253
Number of sworn OPD officers now: 743, plus 229 civilian employees, spread across seven substations.
Minority and Women-Owned Businesses Enterprises: At least 24 percent.